Saturday, August 4, 2007

His Dark Materials Trilogy



We all have our own favorite childhood pastimes, and one of mine is sinking into a comfy niche on the couch, preferably near a window, absorbing myself in a great book until my eyeballs are ready to fall out. Fortunately as a teacher, I have time during the summer to indulge in this pleasure virtually uninterrupted. Yet after devouring all the titles written by authors of which I am familiar, I am sometimes left with every bibliophile's secret fear: What do I read next? What if I can't find another author I enjoy?

Thankfully for me, this worry is always abated in one way or another. Such was the situation I found myself in recently. After biding farewell to Harry Potter and all of my friends at Hogwarts, I began to panic when I realized that I didn't have anything awaiting me on my bookshelves. That's when Ken pointed me to the series he had just finished: His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman. I have not completed all three books--currently, I'm in the middle of The Subtle Knife--yet I can definitely say that I LOVE these books. If you enjoy tales of adventure and imagination, then you may want to check out these novels. Although marketed as young adult fiction, I believe that this is a misnomer. Except in rare exceptions, I highly doubt that your typical tween will grasp the rich subtext found within them.

In the tradition of C.S. Lewis, Pullman has created new, fantastic worlds for readers to explore. But unlike the allusions made in the Narnia Chronicles, Pullman takes a distinctive stance on theology and its affects on society. I encourage those who decide to read his work do so with an open mind, for you will not find characters like Aslan on these pages. Pullmans cast is dynamic, multi-dimensional, flawed; and sometimes frustratingly mysterious and distant. The saga focuses on the series of challenges facing young Lyra, who begins her tale within the antiquated halls of Oxford. Yet this Oxford is not as we know it, for it exists in a parallel universe in which people are constantly connected to their daemons, or creatures that are representative of one's true nature / soul.

I recently learned that the first book in the series has been made into a movie due for release in December. The cast appears pretty impressive--Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, and Sam Elliott star--all excellent choices for their roles. Given the nature of this genre, the real test will be what they do with the CGI.



0 comments: